What Should I Use To Warm Up For Guitar Practice?
Question: (from Eric Jordan):
Is an old fashion metronome best to learn guitar rhythm or does an online work app work just as well and when you say 5 minute warm up for guitar, what warm ups are best.
I find the type of metronome more a personal choice. I prefer once called the Matrix M-800 electronic, but I also use an online one and an old fashion one when my first choice is not easily accessible.
I talk about the metronome in this somewhat colorful post: https://tomasmichaud.com/fail-still-succeed-plus-favorite-guitar-gadgets/
Warm-Ups: There is no one right or wrong answer to what to warm up on. For me it depends on what I'm working on.
I do have a default exercise that I recommend to all students when starting out. I'll make a video and include it in the Sunday update on 6/1/14…Done!
More Guitar Practice Warm Up Tips:
- Warm-up for about 5 to 10 minutes depending on how long your practice session is.
- Warm-up every time you practice, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- A warm-up exercise should be something fairly easy that you know how to play.
- It helps to warm-up with something similar to what you intend on working on during your practice session, but any routine that gets the muscles working can make a good warm-up.
- Scales make a great warm-up exercise.
- You can also warm-up with a chord progression exercise.
- Go slow and strive for accuracy.
- Pay particular attention to staying relaxed.
- By warming up first you set the stage for great practice session.
Tell Us What You Think - Please Comment Below!
We would love to hear your comments and questions. What specific things are you struggling with while learning guitar?
When he's not making guitar instruction videos or creating more music to record (currently 7 CDs including Beauty and Fire) he's riding his bike along the beach with his dog Marco Polo or traveling to interesting places with his lovely wife Pui.
Latest posts by Tomas Michaud (see all)
- Chord Pull Off Warm Up Guitar Exercise - June 25, 2019
- How to Change Keys on Guitar - June 13, 2019
- RGS Live # 22 | Fingerpicking: Beyond Basics with Vince Mellone - June 7, 2019